Vinegar, Your New Best Friend
(This post might contain affiliate links, which means, if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.)
Vinegar. It doesn’t smell pretty, but vinegar is one of the most versatile, cost effective things you can have in your home. The more I work toward a chemical free home, the more I appreciate the simple, basic things that can I can use a bunch of different ways around the house for different things. Like vinegar. Have you jumped on the vinegar band wagon yet?
Vinegar can be used for:
- as a degreaser
- a deodorizer
- conditioner for your hair
- weed killer
The list goes on and on. Since I’ve been trying really hard to eliminate chemicals from my home, I’ve started using vinegar more & more.
Here are my top 10 favorite uses for vinegar!
- Shower cleaner – Mix equal parts vinegar & Dawn dish soap for a knock out soap scum buster! Step it up a notch & use Heinz Cleaning Vinegar – heat the vinegar in the microwave for 1 minute before mixing with your dish soap and it will be even more effective. Spray on your shower & leave it to set for 2 hours. Wipe down & rinse – I’m always amazed at how well this cleans the shower! If you need something more abrasive for soap scum build up, sprinkle some baking soda on the shower floor. This is a non-toxic combo that always does the trick! (I have only used this mix on a basic, standard shower, so I can’t say how it would work on a stone or tile shower!)
- Laundry – The laundry room has so many uses for vinegar that it gets its own jug. A while back I ditched the fabric softener – it was a little hard for me because I LOVE how fresh it made our laundry smell. Then I found out that fabric softener is one of the most toxic things we have in our homes. We wash our clothes in it, then when we wear the clothes all of those synthetic fragrances are absorbed by our skin all.day.long. (Fragrances…ugh. There’s a whole other topic for another day!) Back to laundry room uses for vinegar. You can replace your fabric softener with vinegar! The acetic acid in vinegar will remove soap residue from fabrics leaving them soft and minus the toxins of commercial fabric softeners. It also acts as a disinfectant and will kill any bacteria in your laundry, while neutralizing odors. Add a cup of white vinegar to a Downy ball, or pour in the fabric softener dispenser of your washing machine. It will whiten whites, help keep colors bright, fights stains and vinegar won’t damage your washing machine like fabric softener does – which brings us to #3…
- Washing machines – While we’re in the laundry room…vinegar is also great for cleaning your washing machine! Mix up a spray bottle of water & vinegar, 50/50. Spray down the inside of the drum & rubber lining & sprinkle with baking soda, then wipe it all down. Add 2 cups of vinegar to the drum or the detergent dispenser & run your washing machine on the hottest setting possible. The hot water & vinegar will freshen your machine & break down any residue left over from detergent & fabric softener. (Now that you’ve replaced fabric softener with vinegar you won’t have to deal with the build up anymore!)
- Coffee pot – If your coffee pot isn’t working like it should, it probably has some mineral deposit built up from frequent use. Brew 2 cups of white vinegar & cycle through twice. This will break up any deposits that have built up & get your coffee pot working like new again. Then cycle several cups of cold water through to flush the vinegar out until you can’t smell it anymore.
- General uses – Vinegar is the perfect choice if you’re eco-friendly or budget conscious. Use it as a glass/mirror cleaner, as a dusting spray, degreaser, toilet bowl cleaner, to kill warts, whiten your teeth, in a foot soak, in health & beauty products, to remove carpet stains, to unclog drains…the list goes on & on!
One bottle, dozens of uses! What are your favorite ways to use vinegar?