Safe & Effective Uses for Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil might be one of the most versatile of oils, and always leaves behind a fresh clean scent after its used. It’s very useful on its own, and is also an effective ingredient in so many products, from DIY household cleaners to skin care products.
Lemon essential oil is cold pressed from the rind of a lemon, and it takes over 3,000 lemons to produce 1 kilo of essential oil, making it one of the most inexpensive oils to buy. Since it’s so cost effective to purchase & has such a wide range of uses, lemon essential oil is a popular go-to oil.
(This post might contain affiliate links, which means, if you click on a link and make a purchase, I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.)
If you’ve been wanting to try out some basic and effective uses for essential oil but you’re not sure where to start, here are my favorite fool-proof tips for using lemon essential oil!
Top 10 Uses for Lemon Essential Oil:
- Sticky glue/tape residue remover – A drop or 2 of lemon oil works great for removing sticky residue left over from glue, tape, stickers, or other adhesives. Add a drop to a Q-tip, rub over sticky spots and they’ll peel right away. This also works well for removing crayon marks from painted walls.
- Air freshener – Add 5 drops of lemon oil to 1/4 cup baking soda as a natural air freshener to eliminate odors around the house.
- Brighten your complexion – Mix a drop of lemon oil with your face lotion to reduce dark spots and brighten your complexion.
- Natural cleaning spray – Mix several drops of lemon essential oil with equal parts witch hazel and water in a glass spray bottle for a natural cleaning spray and degreaser.
- Food/water flavoring – Lemon essential oil is loaded with antioxidants, and Vitamins A, B and C. This makes it the perfect addition to your glass of drinking water & food. Add a drop or 2 of Young Living’s Vitality Lemon Essential Oil to a glass of ice water, or use to flavor desserts, salads and other foods.
- Carpet cleaner – Mix 10 drops of lemon essential oil with 1 cup of baking soda, and sprinkle over your carpet before vacuuming. It will deodorize the carpet and leave a fresh, clean scent.
- Natural bleach – Mix 1 cup water, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, and 20 drops lemon essential oil in a glass spray bottle and spray on surface. This also works great for stains on white clothing – spray on the stains and lay in the sunshine for 1-2 hours before washing.
- Glass cleaner – Mix 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup water and 10 drops lemon essential oil to a glass spray bottle. Use to clean windows, mirrors, and other glass surfaces.
- Linen spray – Add 30 drops lemon essential oil to 3 ounces of rubbing alcohol and 1.5 cups distilled water. Mix in a glass spray bottle and use to freshen towels, sheets and blankets. Shake gently before using.
- DIY foaming hand soap – Mix 3 Tbls castile soap with 1 tsp fractionated coconut oil and 10 drops lemon essential oil. Mix gently to combine ingredients and put in a foaming soap dispenser.
If you’re trying to transform your cleaning closet and transition away from harmful chemical cleaners, adding lemon essential oil to your home is a great place to start! It’s inexpensive to buy, and you can mix it with other ingredients you probably already have on hand to create countless non-toxic DIY cleaning recipes.
If you’re interested in learning more about essential oils or beginning your own oil journey, it’s easy to start!
Go to www.youngliving.com & click on ‘Member Sign-Up’ at the bottom of the home page, or follow the instructions here. If you choose to become a member, as opposed to a retail customer, you will be able to buy all of your oils wholesale at a 24% discount.
The only requirement to becoming a member is that you will need to purchase one of Young Living’s Premium Starter Kits. This will get you a high quality diffuser, samples of several Young Living products, information on how to use your oils & 11 bottles of the most popular & versatile essential oils. This allows you try several different oils at a highly discounted rate & see what you think. If you decide they’re not for you (I hope you won’t feel that way – oils are amazing!) you are under no obligation to make any future purchases.
Since becoming a member is risk free (and there’s really no.good.reason.whatsoever to sign up as a retail customer!) click the box next to ‘Member’, & fill in the Membership Details at the bottom of the page. I would love for you to check the ‘referred by a member’ circle & enter 1886576 in both the Sponsor ID & Enroller ID areas!
Next, choose which Premium Starter Kit you would like. The most affordable kit (and the one I started with) is the Dewdrop Diffuser Kit. Step 2 on this page is optional. It gives you the option to sign up for Young Living’s Essential Rewards program – it’s an amazing program that I highly recommend & comes with many benefits (like earning free products, discounted shipping & other extra bonuses), – if you’re ready to dive in, then go ahead & sign up for it! If you’re still feeling things out & want to take it slower, just move on to Step 3. You can always sign up for Essential Rewards later if you want to.
On the next page click on ‘Continue Enrollment’. Fill in all of the Membership Information on the following page- goodies like your name, address, username & password. If you think you might be interested in selling essential oils and becoming a distributor, you can add your SSN for tax purposes under the Commission Processing Information section. Otherwise just click on the first circle next to ‘Individual’. Agree to the terms & conditions, add payment information & you’re done!
I love essential oils! They have been such a game changer for my family & I love finding new ways to use them . I hope they are as helpful in your home as they have been in mine!
*Statements on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Young Living products are not intended to cure, mitigate, treat or prevent diseases.