I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. Read my disclosure statement.
Must Have Basic Supplies for DIY Essential Oil Products
One of the things I love the most about essential oils is using them to making my own DIY products, like cleaning supplies, lotion, and roller bottle blends – and having a few basic supplies on hand to put my essential oil creations in makes them even more fun to use.
Making your own do it yourself products is great for eliminating unwanted chemicals and preservatives from your home that a lot of times are found in store bought cleaning and beauty products.
When you make your own beauty and cleaning products, you know exactly what is in them and can be sure all of the ingredients are natural and safe.
Related post: Essential Oil Roller Bottle Blends
Related post: 7 Essential Oils to Purify the Air in Your Home
It’s important to store products with essential oils in them in dark colored, glass bottles. This keeps the sun’s rays from damaging the healing properties of the oil. I like to stock up on several different kinds of amber glass containers so I have them on hand to put my homemade lotion, beauty products and DIY sprays and cleaners in.
Keep reading for a basic list of my favorite essential oil containers and how I use them!
(This post might contain affiliate links, which means, if you click on a link and make a purchase, I might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.)
14 Useful Products to Keep on Hand for using Essential Oils:
- Glass Spray Bottle – I use glass spray bottles a lot, mostly for DIY shower cleaner, Thieves multipurpose household cleaner, linen spray, and DIY spray for keeping the bugs away.
- Fine Mist Spray Bottle – This smaller size fine mist spray bottle is also great for storing DIY linen spray, perfume, and bug spray to take on the go.
- Roller Bottle – I always have a big stash of roller bottles on hand so I can make my own roller bottle blends to use for my family or share with friends.
- Roller Ball Tops – These roller bottle tops exclusively fit essential oil bottles from Young Living. We love these & use them all the time!
- Pump Bottle - Pump bottles are handy to use for homemade lotion and soap. They can be washed and reused over and over
- Foam Soap Dispenser – I like to use foaming soap dispensers at the sink, and for shampoo and body wash in the bathtub in my kid’s bathroom. Then I can water it down to make it last longer and not worry if they use too much.
- Lip Balm Tubes – DIY lip balm is inexpensive and is a lot of fun to make. One batch makes several tubes, so it’s perfect for giving as a gift and sharing with friends.
- Pipettes – Having pipettes on hand is really useful for making homemade lip balm and for transferring essential oil blends to different bottles to make sure none of the oil is spilled and wasted.
- Carrier oil – You need a good carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil, almond oil, or jojoba oil to make different roller bottle blends, and you can also use it in homemade lotion and face serum.
- Squeeze Bottles – Squeeze bottles are perfect for holding homemade body wash, shampoo or lotion. They come in either an 8 ounce size to use at home, or 4 ounce size for traveling.
- Essential Oil Shelf – I had quite a few bottles of essential oils before I gave in and got a shelf to hang on the wall to store them. Now looking back I wish I hadn’t waited so long to get one! Storing them on a hanging shelf makes them so accessible and much more quick and easy to use than storing them in a drawer where they’re easily forgotten.
Once you stock up on a few basic supplies, you can make so many different things using essential oils! The most important thing to remember is to store your products with essential oils in a dark colored container so they’re not damaged by the sun, and always keep them out of direct sunlight.
If you’re interested in learning more about essential oils or beginning your own oil journey, it’s easy to start!
Go to www.youngliving.com & click on ‘Member Sign-Up’ at the bottom of the home page, or follow the instructions here. If you choose to become a member, as opposed to a retail customer, you will be able to buy all of your oils wholesale at a 24% discount.
The only requirement to becoming a member is that you will need to purchase one of Young Living’s Premium Starter Kits. This will get you a high quality diffuser, samples of several Young Living products, information on how to use your oils & 11 bottles of the most popular & versatile essential oils. This allows you try several different oils at a highly discounted rate & see what you think. If you decide they’re not for you (I hope you won’t feel that way – oils are amazing!) you are under no obligation to make any future purchases.
Since becoming a member is risk free (and there’s really no.good.reason.whatsoever to sign up as a retail customer!) click the box next to ‘Member’, & fill in the Membership Details at the bottom of the page. I would love for you to check the ‘referred by a member’ circle & enter 1886576 in both the Sponsor ID & Enroller ID areas!
Next, choose which Premium Starter Kit you would like. The most affordable kit (and the one I started with) is the Dewdrop Diffuser Kit. Step 2 on this page is optional. It gives you the option to sign up for Young Living’s Essential Rewards program – it’s an amazing program that I highly recommend & comes with many benefits (like earning free products, discounted shipping & other extra bonuses), – if you’re ready to dive in, then go ahead & sign up for it! If you’re still feeling things out & want to take it slower, just move on to Step 3. You can always sign up for Essential Rewards later if you want to.
On the next page click on ‘Continue Enrollment’. Fill in all of the Membership Information on the following page- goodies like your name, address, username & password. If you think you might be interested in selling essential oils and becoming a distributor, you can add your SSN for tax purposes under the Commission Processing Information section. Otherwise just click on the first circle next to ‘Individual’. Agree to the terms & conditions, add payment information & you’re done!
I love essential oils! They have been such a game changer for my family & I love finding new ways to use them . I hope they are as helpful in your home as they have been in mine!
*Statements on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Young Living products are not intended to cure, mitigate, treat or prevent diseases.