Build a Safe, Effective Medicine Cabinet of Essential Oils
(This post might contain affiliate links, which means, if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.)
Did you know you can build a medicine cabinet using essential oils? They’re a great alternative to over the counter medicines. They’re not just a healthier alternative – they’re also very effective!
Essential oils have been regaining popularity over the last 10-20 years, and I don’t think that trend will slow down any time soon.
I recently went through our small basket of over-the-counter medicine and was really surprised to find that almost all of it had expired. We’d gradually been using essential oils more and more in place of over-the-counter medicines, and I hadn’t even noticed that our old go-to meds weren’t good anymore. It had been that long since we had used them.
Without even realizing it, we were replacing our usual medicines with essential oils. It happened slowly at first…after a work out we’d grab a bottle of peppermint or wintergreen oil to use on sore muscles. Or when our little guy was stung by a bee, a drop of lavender essential oil was all it took to relieve the pain. A few drops of eucalyptus in the diffuser was great for supporting our respiratory systems in the winter.
We were reaching for essential oils instead of medicines made out of chemicals.
Most prescription drugs are actually based on naturally occurring compounds from plants – they’ve just been altered from their original state or mimicked by drug companies to make them more affordable to mass produce.
So it really isn’t a surprise that pure, therapeutic grade essential oils are so effective on illnesses and health conditions, since they are the original versions of many prescriptions and medicines on the market today.
Essential oils can’t replace medical treatment if and when that is needed. But they can be used to support our bodies in so many ways, and I love to share the ways they have benefited my family.
Top essential oils no medicine cabinet or first aid kit should be without:
- Lavender – Lavender essential oil is one of our favorites, and is a perfect oil to start with if you’re new to essential oils! It can be used for so many things. It’s great for soothing minor cuts, burns, scratches and bug bites. Lavender is also very calming and can be made into a roller blend to put on the bottoms of your feet or diffused at bedtime.
- Peppermint Vitality – Peppermint makes another great starter oil because it’s so versatile. A drop of peppermint in a glass of water can help sooth digestive trouble. Mixed with a carrier oil it can bring relief to sore, tired muscles. Its fresh, energizing scent can also help clear out the stuffiness in your sinuses.
- Lemon Vitality – Lemon essential oil has such a fresh, clean scent and is a great detoxifier. Drinking a glass of water with a drop or 2 of lemon vitality essential oil is great for clearing toxins out of your system and can also help support your immune system. Mix a drop with facial lotion to reduce the look of wrinkles and age spots.
- Tea Tree – Tea Tree oil, also known as Melaleuca, is a very cleansing oil. It is a great addition to homemade cleaning products to help keep the germs away. It is also a key ingredient in a lot of store bought acne cleansers, lotions and dandruff shampoos.
- Eucalyptus – We diffuse eucalyptus essential oil daily, especially during the winter months. It purifies and freshens the air, and can help support the respiratory system. Its fresh scent can also give your immune system a boost when diffused or applied to the chest or bottoms of the feet.
- Oregano – Oregano essential oil has a very strong scent, and it is equally as powerful for the immune system. Several drops in the diffuser can help clear the air, and oregano mixed with a carrier oil and rubbed on the bottoms of your feet has a calming effect. It can also bring relief from allergy symptoms.
- Frankincense – Frankincense is one of the oldest and most highly regarded of essential oils because of its positive effects on every system of the body. It is the perfect oil for supporting the respiratory system, immune system, and circulatory system. It can also be applied to the skin to reduce the signs of stretch marks and scars.
- Thieves – Thieves is an essential oil blend made by Young Living Essential Oils. It is an amazing blend! Mix with a carrier oil (or make up a roller bottle of it!) and rub on the bottoms of your feet for an incredible boost to your immune system, or put several drops in a diffuser to help purify the air. This is our #1 go-to oil, especially during cold & flu season!
My favorite way to use essential oils is to make up roller bottles of them for fast and easy application. This pre-dilutes the oils with a carrier oil so they are ready to use when you need them. Roller bottles also make it really easy to apply them to kids. My go-to carrier oil is Young Living’s V-6 Massaging Oil, but you could also use almond oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, or another carrier oil of your choice.
The initial investment of going from over the counter stuff to essential oils turns into a long term savings. Essential oils never expire (no more over the counter medicine that will eventually go bad), and most oils have multiple uses, which makes them really versatile. Plus, essential oils hold all the best of nature without any man made chemicals.
There are so many essential oils to choose from that would make a great addition to your medicine cabinet or first aid kit. They’re safe to use, cost effective and they WORK!
The best part is, they never expire, and most oils are really versatile and can be used in many different ways. Essential oils make a great medicine cabinet that you can feel good about using on your whole family.
If you’re interested in learning more about essential oils or beginning your own oil journey, it’s easy to start! Go to www.youngliving.com & click on ‘Member Sign-Up’ at the bottom of the home page, or follow the instructions here. If you choose to become a member, as opposed to a retail customer, you will be able to buy all of your oils wholesale at a 24% discount.
The only requirement to becoming a member is that you will need to purchase one of Young Living’s Premium Starter Kits. This will get you a high quality diffuser, samples of several Young Living products, information on how to use your oils & 11 bottles of the most popular & versatile essential oils. This allows you try several different oils at a highly discounted rate & see what you think. If you decide they’re not for you (I hope you won’t feel that way – oils are amazing!) you are under no obligation to make any future purchases.
Since becoming a member is risk free (and there’s really no.good.reason.whatsoever to sign up as a retail customer!) click the box next to ‘Member’, & fill in the Membership Details at the bottom of the page. I would love for you to check the ‘referred by a member’ circle & enter 1886576 in both the Sponsor ID & Enroller ID areas!
Next, choose which Premium Starter Kit you would like. The most affordable kit (and the one I started with) is the Dewdrop Diffuser Kit. Step 2 on this page is optional. It gives you the option to sign up for Young Living’s Essential Rewards program – it’s an amazing program that I highly recommend & comes with many benefits (like earning free products, discounted shipping & other extra bonuses), – if you’re ready to dive in, then go ahead & sign up for it! If you’re still feeling things out & want to take it slower, just move on to Step 3. You can always sign up for Essential Rewards later if you want to.
On the next page click on ‘Continue Enrollment’. Fill in all of the Membership Information on the following page- goodies like your name, address, username & password. If you think you might be interested in selling essential oils and becoming a distributor, you can add your SSN for tax purposes under the Commission Processing Information section. Otherwise just click on the first circle next to ‘Individual’. Agree to the terms & conditions, add payment information & you’re done!
I love essential oils! They have been such a game changer for my family & I love finding new ways to use them . I hope they are as helpful in your home as they have been in mine!
*Statements on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Young Living products are not intended to cure, mitigate, treat or prevent diseases.