(This post might contain affiliate links, which means, if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.)
I love diffusing essential oils to help purify the air in my house. They smell great and are chemical free, so I can feel good about using them around my family. And making sure the air in my home is clean is important, because it’s an easy way I can help keep my family healthy.
Especially during colder months, the air inside can be more toxic than the air outside – which is why so many kids catch a cold or the flu bug within the first month of school. We trade hours of outdoor time in fresh air and sunshine for days inside classrooms full of other people and everyone’s germs.
Our bodies are always working to eliminate the toxins we absorb from our environment – things like chemical cleaning products, laundry detergent/fabric softener, candles and air fresheners. Fresh paint and new carpet also contribute to more toxic air in our homes, making our liver work harder to filter out the bad stuff and weakening our immune system. It’s all of those little things that we normally don’t think about that are making our body work a lot harder than it needs to.
Why diffuse essential oils?
Eliminating chemicals from our homes is one great way to help keep the air cleaner. I also diffuse essential oils every day to help purify the air in our house. An essential oil diffuser breaks down the essential oil and disperses it into the air in a fine mist. Then the essential oil neutralizes odors, kills bacteria and viruses, and raises oxygen levels in the air. A diffuser can also replace spray or plug in air fresheners, since diffusing essential oils will make your house smell great.
There are so many different essential oils to choose from, so knowing which ones are best to help purify the air in your home can be hard. So I’ve put together a list of the essential oils I diffuse the most, the benefits of diffusing them, and why they’re my favorite. My top picks are all Young Living essential oils – they’re the world leaders in essential oils and all I use.
Top 7 Essential Oils to Purify the Air in Your Home:
1. Lemon – Lemon essential oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties, so it is a perfect oil for diffusing to clean air and eliminate odors. It has a light and crisp scent, and makes everything smell fresh and clean. It’s also a less expensive oil, so you get more bang for your buck.
2. Purification – Purification essential oil is my all time favorite oil to diffuse. It’s a blend of citronella, lavender, lemongrass, rosemary, myrtle and tea tree oils, and it can knock out smelly odors faster than any other essential oil I’ve used. If you have lingering odors from cooking, pets, laundry, etc, give Purification a try! You won’t feel like you’re covering up an odor – because it eliminates odors completely.
3. Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus essential oil is another favorite, and I’ve been diffusing it a lot this winter. It also has a fresh, clean scent, and is amazing for helping purify the air because of its antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti fungal and antiviral properties. It can also be diffused to help support your respiratory system, especially during cold and flu season.
4. Peppermint – Peppermint essential oil is great to diffuse if you need a pick me up during the day. It freshens the air and has an invigorating scent. It is also antiviral and antibacterial, so it will purify the air at the same time. I like to combine eucalyptus and peppermint. Euca-mint is a nice combination of the two!
5. Cinnamon Bark – I love to diffuse Cinnamon Bark essential oil, especially around Christmas. It is such a festive scent. But it’s also a great oil to diffuse year round, because there are so many benefits to using it – it helps relieve depression, stimulates the immune system and fights viruses.
6. Thieves – Thieves essential oil is at the top of my list of essential oils to diffuse. We’ve had a horrible cold and flu season around here this year, so I’ve been diffusing Thieves like crazy to help keep the air clean and the flu bug(s) out. Thieves is a blend of clove, lemon, rosemary, eucalyptus and cinnamon bark essential oils – each of these oils are amazing on their own, but put together they’re a powerhouse.
7. Lavender – Lavender essential oil has antiseptic and anti fungal properties, and it’s also perfect to diffuse at bedtime if you or your kids have a hard time winding down. Lavender is a very calming and soothing oil.
Diffusing essential oils has so many benefits! It improves the air quality in your home (or office, classroom, etc) and breathing them in is so good for every system of your body. And it doesn’t take much to do a lot of good. I add around 5 drops of essential oil to the water in my diffuser and let it run. If there’s an area around your house that needs some extra help, add 15-20 drops of essential oil to your diffuser, shut the door and let it run until it shuts off. Thieves essential oil has even been used successfully for black mold. The stuff works!
Are you interested in learning more about essential oils and how to use them?
If you’re interested in learning more about essential oils or beginning your own oil journey, it’s easy to start! Go to www.youngliving.com & click on ‘Member Sign-Up’ at the bottom of the home page, or follow the instructions here. If you choose to become a member, as opposed to a retail customer, you will be able to buy all of your oils wholesale at a 24% discount. The only requirement to becoming a member is that you will need to purchase one of Young Living’s Premium Starter Kits. This will get you a high quality diffuser, samples of several Young Living products, information on how to use your oils & 11 bottles of the most popular & versatile essential oils. This allows you try several different oils at a highly discounted rate & see what you think. If you decide they’re not for you (I hope you won’t feel that way – oils are amazing!) you are under no obligation to make any future purchases.
Since becoming a member is risk free (and there’s really no.good.reason.whatsoever to sign up as a retail customer!) click the box next to ‘Member’, & fill in the Membership Details at the bottom of the page. I would love for you to check the ‘referred by a member’ circle, & enter 1886576 in both the Sponsor ID & Enroller ID areas.
Next, choose which Premium Starter Kit you would like. The most affordable kit (and the one I started with) is the Dewdrop Diffuser Kit. Step 2 on this page is optional. It gives you the option to sign up for Young Living’s Essential Rewards program – it’s an amazing program that I highly recommend & comes with many benefits (like earning free products, discounted shipping & other extra bonuses), – if you’re ready to dive in, then go ahead & sign up for it! If you’re still feeling things out & want to take it slower, just move on to Step 3. You can always sign up for Essential Rewards later if you want to.
On the next page click on ‘Continue Enrollment’. Fill in all of the Membership Information on the following page- goodies like your name, address, username & password. If you think you might be interested in becoming a distributor, you can add your SSN for tax purposes under the Commission Processing Information section. Otherwise just click on the first circle next to ‘Individual’. Agree to the terms & conditions, add payment information & you’re done!
I love essential oils! They have been such a game changer for my family & I love finding new ways to use them . I hope they are as helpful in your home as they have been in mine!
*Statements on this site are my own and have not been evaluated by the FDA. Young Living products are not intended to cure, mitigate, treat or prevent diseases.